KEY SCRIPTURE: 2 Timothy 2:15 ” Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”
In our previous study we looked at what an inductive study is all about.
We would consider another practical example of using an inductive approach to study the Bible. We shall consider John 10:10 for an example. “The thief does not come, but when he comes, he comes to steal, to kill and to destroy. I am come that they might have life and have it more abundantly. We said the inductive study has three aspects, they are observation, Inference and Application. The observation involves using the fact-finding questions to look out for the basic facts in the verse. We may ask questions like:
1. Who is talking in this verse
2. Who are the persons involved in the verse
3. What are the persons spoken of doing in the verse? In this instant we will not use the other fact-finding questions like HOW, WHEN, WHERE because they may not apply to this verse.
From the verse, the following will be our answers to the questions:
1. The verse does not give us who is speaking so we would have to read from the beginning of the chapter: we learn it is Jesus
2. The persons involved are the thief, Jesus and All people. Who is the thief? To find who this thief is we have to go back and read through the passage. We have been taught the thief is the devil but reading verses 1 and verse 8 we see it is not referring to the devil but rather false teachers. (In practice these acts spoken by Jesus are all the works and portraits of the devil anyway) yet in this passage it is referring to false teachers.
3. From the verse, the following are the activities of the persons in the verse. The thief comes only to kill, steal and destroy.
ii. Jesus comes only to give life and give it more abundantly. (He has no evil agenda)
iii. The people have two options either they choose abundant Life or are destroyed by the thief.
We now consider the inference or make deduction from our observations.
i. The Lord Jesus tells the truth about himself and the false teachers. The false teachers are very crafty and always come undercover like a thief. They deceitfully steal, kill and destroy.
ii. Jesus also gives life and gives it more abundantly and nothing evil comes from Him. It is up to men to choose to receive life (truth) from Jesus or to be deceived by the thief.
APPLICATION: I will not accept any teaching that does not involve our Lord Jesus revealing His grace in giving life and giving it abundantly. False teachers do not free people but takes advantage of people by placing legalistic demands that places people in bondage. I am very alert to their deceptions.
Lord Jesus, I pray for all Christians to be very alert to error and to know every false teaching, so they would not be held captive and deceived. May all be enlightened to study the bible effectively.
Luke 21:8 ” And he said, take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them”.
Colossians 2:8 ” Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.”