KEY SCRIPTURE: John 6:27 KJV “Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.”
Someone once asked, is life all about being born, growing up, and dying afterwards? The Lord Jesus told the people who were searching for Him; because they were fed by Him, and were desiring that He would perform that miracle again. Many people are tirelessly following after earthly carnal things, which have no eternal significance. The Lord counselled them to labour for the food which have an eternal value.
Food in this context stand for anything that is of a great importance or satisfaction to you.
Our key scripture advices us not to labour for the food that will perish after some time, but labour for the food that will abide unto eternity. The Lord counsels us not to lay our treasures on this earth, where moth, rust and thieves can break in and steal Matt 6:19. He admonishes us to rather lay up our treasures in heaven., where no moth, rust nor thieves, could break in and steal.
What are some of the foods or things of great importance that will abide forever?
1.The food of winning the lost unto Christ.
John 4:34 KJV “Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.” The Lord Jesus said winning souls unto the Father is His food. He added, He must complete this work absolutely. This work has a great eternal value. Daniel 12:3
2. Labouring in the word of God for yourself and also to bless others through teaching is another food unto eternal life.1Ti 5:17 KJV “Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.”
3. We must labour to believe God’s word, so we may enter into our rest as children of God. This is also another spiritual food to satisfy our souls. Heb 4:11 KJV” Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief”.
4. There is the eternal blessing of giving into or for the work of God. Every sacrificial seed we give towards the work of God is an eternal food of true satisfaction for all time. The Lord said, it is more blessed to give than to receive. Luke 21:3 KJV “And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all:”
5. It is a great call of eternal significance to labour in prayer and to intercede for the lost.1 Timothy 2:1-4. Col 4:12 KJV” Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ, saluteth you, always labouring fervently for you in prayers, that ye may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God”. Dear brother or sister would you enroll in the school of intercession to seek the salvation of souls on your knees.
6. Lastly but not the least, any act of obedience to the word of God or divine counsel is a form of eternal food that brings to us eternal satisfaction.
We were created to bring pleasure to our Father God, and doing it brings us eternal blessings and rewards. May you let the following scripture be your motivation.
Luke 19:17 KJV “And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities”.
THOUGHT: EVERY ACT OF OBEDIENCE OR HONOUR WE BRING TO GOD IS AN ETERNAL MEAT THAT WILL NEVER PERISH
Mar 14:9 KJV “Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world, this also that she hath done shall be spoken of for a memorial of her.”
1Tim 2:2, 3 KJV” For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;”