KEY SCRIPTURE: John 8:43 KJV “Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.”
The Lord’s discussions with the Jewish leaders has so much to teach us. Now the Lord tries to answer why these people cannot understand His word. The Lord revealed that it is because they cannot hear His word although they have been listening to him. This is quite a deep statement. It is an attitudinal condition. This means they had conditioned themselves not to hear. It is a mental blockage to His word. One cannot apply what he does not understand.
Many in our days cannot understand the word because of a similar state.
The following are some of the reasons why people can’t hear God’s word although they have been listening to it,
1. Sin in the heart and life of an individual would not make him hear the word, enough to understand it.In 1 Peter 2:1, Apostle Peter lists certain things which one must put away first before receiving the sincere milk, of the word. He listed the following as malice, guile or deception, hypocrisies, envy, and all evil speaking. Sin will always harden the heart. Hebrews 3:13.
2. People can’t hear the truth of the word when they come to the word with human traditions and wrong human explanations that occupy their minds. Many have interpreted scriptures without considering the context. You cannot hear the word with such hindsight teachings.
3. The Jews in particular could not hear Jesus’ message, because they had a corrupted view of Him. They were envious of Him, and also felt He was corrupting the message of the law.
Wrong preconceived ideas about Christians, about Christ, or even about men of God would not allow you to receive what is said, to the point of understanding it. Some carry the notion that pastors preach to manipulate the people to extort their monies. You cannot hear anything, with such an attitude.
4. There are those with emotional challenges, and worried minds, who can’t simply hear whatever is said.
5. These days have raised a generation who would be browsing their phones, even in church. Such people would not hear anything, nor understand as well.
Dear reader or listener, the word of God is the ONLY piece of information on this earth that can truly set you free. All you need is to give it total attention. Prov 4:20-22, James 1:21 KJV “Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.”
Anytime you have an opportunity to read, listen or take in God’s word, come to it like a little child.
1. Like one who knows nothing
2. With an attitude to learn
3. Believing it has the solutions you need
4. Ready to do what it says.
With such attitudes, your can hear rightly what is said, and also understand what is said before you can apply it, to benefit from it.
God’s word is the perfect law of liberty, and I approach it with every sense of honour, believe that, it holds the answers to my questions. I humbly receive it by throwing away anything that could hinder me. I therefore understand what it teaches.
THOUGHT: TO UNDERSTAND GOD’S WORD, HUMBLY STAND UNDER IT
Heb 3:13 KJV “But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.”
Psalms 25:9 KJV “The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way.”