KEY SCRIPTURE: Ephesians 4:26-27. ‘Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:Neither give place to the devil”.
How do you help your rebellious son or daughter?
From our last study we learnt that the youth who does not overcome his anger comes under demonic control. He may go to church, and may do whatever you ask him or her to do yet deep down in his heart, he is hurting or angry. He or she has thought of things to do to satisfy his or her ego. When such a person meets with his or her colleagues she portrays her true nature, doing things that has not godly or Christian influence.
How can this person be helped.
- Pray fervently for him or her. James 5:16, 17.
Don’t condemn or complain but relate to him or her in love.
- Use the scriptures to reveal his nature and the result of his actions. Go through 2nd Samuel 13:1 to the end. Highlight on verses 21 and 22.
David was angry yet did not punish Amnon in anyway. This infuriated Absalom. Make him or her know that she or he is feeling hurt because of something and cannot come out to say it. Ask him to tell you what is making him feel hurt or angry.
- Go further to 1st Samuel 13 and 15 and discuss the characteristics of a rebel. All these things would be playing and painting pictures of his behaviour to him. Let him know that, the end of every rebel is destruction. 2nd Samuel 18:9-14, showed the end of Absalom. Turn to 1st Samuel 15:27-28. King Saul also demonstrated the character of a rebel and lost his reign. Narrate all these things to him or her.
- Allow him to tell you his response after all the narrations.
- Pray with him asking him to denounce his thoughts and actions.
(You may introduce him to a counselor to speak to him)
Every son or daughter who may be going through a difficult moment of anger, leading to rebellion, may you be set free by the power of God. I declare divine grace to lift you above every deception of the enemy in Jesus name.
1 Samuel 15:23 “For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king”.
Proverbs 17:11 “An evil man seeketh only rebellion: therefore a cruel messenger shall be sent against him.