KEY SCRIPTURE: Matthew 28:19 KJV “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:”
We continue with our discussions on some of the simple ways of presenting the gospel to people we meet
You could use the four spiritual laws, written by Bill Bright of the campus crusade USA. These laws are as follows;
A. Four spiritual laws.
1.God loves you and has a wonderful plan for you. John 3:16, 10:10
2. Man is sinful and therefore separated from God. Rom 3:23,6:23, Isa 59:1&2
3. Jesus Christ is God’s only provision for man’s sin John 14:6, Rom 5:8, Acts4:12
4 We must individually receive Jesus Christ as saviour and Lord. John 1:12 Rev 3:20,
You may pray with him or her to accept the Lord into his or her life.
B. Steps to peace with God (by Billy Graham)
1.God’s plan -peace and life (God loves you and wants you to experience His peace and life. John 3:16)
2. Our problem -Separation (Being at peace with God is not automatic, God gave us a free will to choose, and we chose to disobey Him Gen 2:15-17, 3:6,7. This is what separates man from God. Isaiah 59:1,2
3. God’s remedy, the cross. – Jesus died on the cross and rose again, paying the penalty of our sins. He bridged the gap between us and God. 1st Corinth 15:3,4, John 14:6,
4. Our response – Receive Jesus Christ. We must trust and receive Jesus as our Lord and saviour. John 1:12, Rev 3:20, Rom 10:9,10
When the enquirer makes a decision to make Jesus the Lord of his life, you may lead him or her to make a prayer accepting Jesus as the Lord and saviour of his or her life.
After this act of making Jesus Lord of his or her life, commences the main program of teaching this individual to become a disciple. This is what is called follow up. Many people fail at this aspect and so they lose the new convert. Winning a soul is only of value if that soul remains in Christ and becomes a disciple who can take care of others.
You may take just thirty minutes to help one make a decision for Jesus, yet it would take a reasonable time to help him or her become a disciple. Some may take as short as three months, while others may take two years and over. It depends on the teacher as well as the student, yet most depends on the teacher.
What are the requirements for a good follow up ?
- Have a clear understanding for the preciousness of a soul Matt 16:26
2. Love that soul with a sincere love 2 Cor 5:14
3. Pray passionately for his or her establishment in the faith. Gal 4:19
4. Your program of teaching must go in the following way
a) Help him build strong faith IN CHRIST Col 2:6&7
b) Help him develop his commitment to the Lordship of Jesus Christ John 15:4-6
c) Help him to know and practice the various disciplines of the Christian life
Fellowshipping, Prayer, Bible study, Quiet time, Listening to messages, Evangelism,
Giving, paying of tithe, Fasting.
If he practices these things on his own, then he has become a disciple ready to disciple others
THLOUGHT: IT IS DISCIPLES THAT SUSTAINS THE CHAIN OF MAKING OTHER DISCIPLES, SO MAKE DISCIPLES.
Gal 4:19 KJV” My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,”
Acts 16:5 KJV “And so were the churches established in the faith, and increased in number daily.”