KEY SCRIPTURE: John 7:24 KJV “Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.”
When the Lord asked Prophet Samuel to anoint a king for Israel, from the sons of Jesse, he went looking at the appearances. He saw the physical structure of Eliab the first son of Jesse, and quickly judged, …surely the Lord’s anointed is before me. The Lord said the following to him, (1 Sam 16:6)1Sa 16:7 KJV But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.”
Judging, events or people’s actions just by how things appear, may be very misleading. As children of God, we must be led by the spirit of God always. Things are not always as how they appear. A murder scene with a knife in a man’s hand, standing beside the dead person, does not mean he killed the person.
What are some of the issues of life that we have to be careful not to judge by appearance?
1.The actions of people
2. Some of the News reports
3. Negative reports about certain people.
4. Biblical teachings that does not have clear sense of scriptural support (Don’t conclude it is truth)
5. Negative reports about your spouse,
family members and close relations.
6. Extremely enticing business deals
7. Negative remarks or slanderous stories about your pastor
8. Unfounded accusations about political leaders.
We must not judge or conclude on matters we do not have enough information about. The Lord said do not judge by appearance. Certain individuals have fallen in the grips of fraudsters, because they came looking like godly men. They were wolf in sheep’s clothing. Certain marriages have broken up because one party was quick in judging the other about an issue, he or she had a very scanty information about. Certain people have gone to jail for offences they knew nothing about. Somebody wrongly accused them. What would God do to those who wrongly put their neighbours in such traumatic conditions?
What must we do, in order to avoid hasty unrighteous judgements?
1. Talk to God about every situation, and ask the counsel of the Holy Spirit
2. Don’t conclude on a matter you are not sure about.
3. Refuse to be controlled by your emotions to take a decision.
(Do not make a decision when you are angry)
4. Do not comment on issues you would not be able to defend yourself
5. Before you make negative remarks about others, ask
yourself, would I be happy, if these words were said about me?
6. Do not speak lies about others or wrongly praise a person, just because he has influence (wealthy). Remember God is greater and can turn the tables in a short moment.
Decide to be always fair to all persons whether poor, rich, stranger or friend
THOUGHT: FAIRNESS WILL PRESERVE YOU, FOR YOU WOULD REAP WHAT YOU SOW
James 2:3 KJV And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?
Luke 6:37 KJV “Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:”